Thursday, July 1, 2021

CHAPTER 172: IMPRESSIONS OF MY LIFE: AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A RECHERCHE POET BREAKS AND PROMOTIONS A CRIME OCCURS 1995

 CHAPTER 172 A CRIME OCCURS WITHOUT JUSTICE 1995 




In January, Ted Cecala and Robert Harra were named as Co-Presidents of Wilmington Trust.   Pictured left are Robert V. A Harra. Erika Bush and Ted Cecala. 


This will lead to a future crime, and who knows if there will be justice

 


The O.J. Simpson murder trail
began January 24, 1995. It was broadcasted on TV. I watched it in obsessive fascination. It was obvious on the evidence that he was guilt. His “dream team defense kept trying to make it racial but DNA and everything pointed clearly to O. J. It ended with him being acquitted, more in retribution for this country wrongs against black than anything else.  He went on to lose a civil trail for wrongful death brought by Ron Goldman’s father. 


Inn October of 2008, O. J. was again arrested, this time on charges of robbery and kidnapping. Simpson was found guilty this time and let out in handcuff. He served 7 years of his 35 year sentence, then he was paroled and left prison on October 1, 2017. He is now in his mid-seventies and living in Los Vagas.


Here are some of the things this travesty brought us. The Judge, in the case was parodied with the Judge Ito dancers by Jay Leno.


Marsha Clark, the lad prosecutor, retired from the L. A. District Attorney office in 1997 and has since written several crime novels. 


Robert Kardashian, one of Simpson’s defense team, died in 

2003 od cancer at the age of 59. He did live us the TV show “Keeping Up with the Kardashians, where Kim Kardashian rode her large rear end to reality show stardom.


Johnny Cochran Simptons lead defense lawyer, who uttered the iconic words, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit,” died in 2005 of a brain tumor.




February 6, 1994.was a small family  get-together at my parents. I brought a tape with me, “Big Rumble  in Wrestling and we watched it. Afterward at 4:30 my folks took us  down to Hoss;s Restaurant (now closed)  in Lionville for dinner. My parents then drove us home. I don’t like driving after dark because I am having trouble seeing after unset. 


Lois had left her job at Delaware Tech at the end of the last
semester. On March 1 she began a new job at Wilmington Trust as an Input/Mail Deposit Clerk in Deposit Services. Lois would hold that job until 1997. 



My mother called that night to wish Laurel a happy  birthday. Laurel was sweet 16. I wasn’t feeling very well. though.


Easter fell on Sunday the 3rd that April. I took Lois and the kids for dinner at the Spring City Hotel. My parent’s then came down on the 5th with gifts for Laurel.


Laurel was performing inJoseph and the Amazing
Technicolor  Dreamcoat
at her school. I bought  the tape off it  and on April 17 we drove to my parent’s and we all watched it

.








Little League season began


in May 1995. Darryl had been drafted by the Phillies. I again became the bench that yer for his new team.  The manager was Blaze Maitland, who lived not from from us on Glenrock Drive. I was a bit worried because Blaze had a reputation of being a fanatic, and maybe he was, but I found him a fine coach.  He is the fellow in sunglasses in the center of the team photo. I am to the far right in the back. Darryl is the tall boy standing next to Manager Blaise Maitland.



Darryl played first base that year and occasionally pitched.  He was very good at First Base, but he didn’t like pitching. He was very accurate, but he wasn’t a hard thrower.


He was team captain. He led the others in about every statisical category, especially hitting. He batted an 714 average for the season. He was again named to the All-Star team.


The Phillies finshed first for the season and then won the league championship.


Laurel appear in another play May 3 yhrouhj May 4 This was “Fiddler on the Roof: and we also acquired a tape one it.


 

Laurel was also in her next to last horse show that year at  G
ateway Stables and picked up several ribbons.  On the right is her taking a jump course.



On the left she is being awarded another first place finish. 

 





Laurel was singing in the Mt. Pleasant Chorus and that Sing
the whole Chorus completed in The All-AmericanMusic  Festival at Disney World in Orlando, Florida This was a competition between choruses from across thecountry.They took second place. In the photos, Laurel is standing to the far left of the top row.










I don’t want to leave Noelle out, this was her 1995 school
photo. She was in ninth grade. The school had come to us and wanted to put her in the “Gifted Program”, but Lois and I turned them down. Noelle was shy enough and  didn’t need to be further separated from her classmates as some kind of “brain”


There was a bomb scare at Wilmington Trust Rodney Square Headquarters on April 26 and everyone had to evacuate the building. We reassembled over in the DuPont Hotel until all clear was received, then marched back to work.


On the 29th my parents came down to see Darryl in his first game of the season. His team won.




Near the end of the school year, Noelle broke her arm during Gym. They were taking fitness tests and in this one they ran across the gymnasium. Noelle, who was  fast runner by the way, put out her hands to state at the wall, There was a loud crack the even the gyn teacher heard on the far side of the room. 


I received a phone call from the school nurse. First thing she says: “Don’t get upset.”


Then, “Noelle has broken her arm and we have sent her to Christiana Hospital.”


Don’t get upset!  Lois and I drive to the hospital. She was still in emergency, watching everything the doctors were doing. At that point of her life she wanted to be a doctor. She hd a whole library of VCH tapes of surgeries she would watch.


She had a compound fracture of her left arm and the bones had pictured the flesh. The doctors had given her morphine and now they wheeled her off for what would be a long operation. They had to piece her bones together and then insert pins to hold everything in place. She missed some school because she had to stay in the hospital. After a couple days they put a cast on her arm and sent her.




On July 3 we went as a family to Gettysburg Battle Ground. In this first photo Darryl is running to the left and Laurel stands on the right. 



Noelle is standing in the


middle and you can clearly see the bandages on her right arm. The cast had been removed shortly before our trip.  


Everybody enjoyed this journey. There were still some reenact soldiers bivouacked  about the town.  


W did the usual tour. On the right is the Eternal Flame. in honor of the assassinated President John F. Kennedy.  This is where  the cannon is that we posed by, Darryl hugging the wheel, Noelle in the center and Laurel on the right.Darryl   then took a picture incorporating me in with the girls.



The kids climbed down on the rocks overlooking Devil’s Den at Little Round Top, especially Laurel who really got out there.


I was somewhat more casually dressed than when Lois and I visit this sight back in the early 1960s.



We had dinner at the Farnsworth House, a favorite of ours in   Gettysburg. The Host and servers all dress inCivil War period outfits and serve period food. 
There are over 100 bullet holes in the side of the building.



My parents came to our place for Mother”s Day, which was May 14. In July we took a trip with my mother to Dutch  Country. We rode the Strasburg Railroad  on which Noelle looks less than thrilled. This us probably because she caught me  snapping her picture and she doesn’t like her picture taken. You can see all the bandages are off her arm We

also took spent time at People’s Place Village in Bird In Hand That is Lois strolling up the middle of the crowd. We made a stop at the Last Classic Car museum and toured the Andersen Pretzel Factory. 




In August I flew to Charlotte, SC on bank business, looking at the IBM sorters they were using.We were considering upgrading our current IBM 1419 sorted, which we were often ridiculed by other banks for still using. They considered as in the stone age, but Mr. Craig was proud that we could operate our size operation on these older sorters.


It was a cool trip. IBM picked up our gang at Corporate
Commons and drove as over to the New Castle Airport. 


They had rolled out a red carpet and we were flown  down on a private jet. In the photo left to right are your’s truly. one of the IBM reps, our new Senior of Information Technology Join Kipp, Jack  Zebley. another of IBM’s rep, Programmer extrodinaire Christine Honorowski and the Data Preparation Vice President Ted .  We had very large swivel chairs. S limousine met the plane on the tarmac in Charlotte and took us to the bank we visited.


We saw IBM’s presentation of  their 3890 Check Sorters, but in the end we choose Burrough’s equipment.


The new sorters were one of my last projects for Walt Whitaker, but was a major  effort to pull off.




Lois, the kids and I spent July 22 at the Ephraph Cloisters. The Cloisters were built and housed cult called the Shakers.



The cult drew a lot of followers  In 1747 the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing, commonly referred to as the Shakers.  They had combined belief fromtthe Quakers and a French sect known as the  Camisands.  The name Quaker had derived from their worship, which included quaking and violent trembling. The Shakers leaders were Jane and James Wardley. They were first known as the “Shaking Quakers”, then as The Shakers. They believed all property should be shared and they lived together as a commune, They also did not believe in procreation, thus sexwas frowned upon. They did originally included spontaneous dancing and then choreographed dancing. All dancing ceased in their services by the beginning of the 1900s,  and the sect pretty much disappeared. whether their non-practice of sex played a part, I d not know. 









Buffie, my mother’s cat wasn’t feeling well on August 26. 





The day after, August 27,
was the  Wilso Reunion, but Bob Wilson had moved to Maryland snd my Uncle Heber’s oldest son too over hosting at his farm outside Phoenixville.  



On Halloween I went to my job at Wilmington Trust as The Phantom of the Opera.  My costume had Phyllis Fawcett very upset, she found it frightening. Actually, under my masks my face was pretty scary. I was still suffering with Grave’s Disease and  the side effects of the Prednisone, not to mention my spreading psoriasis. 


It being summer, I was wearing the
least I could get away with outside with hopes the sun would work it’s magic. It was doing my skin a favor and pretty well dissolving the scales and patched, but I would find once the cold weather came again so did my psoriasis problems.


The next couple months went as usual, Thanksgiving at my Parents and Christmas at our home. Then in December my Aunt Edna passed  away. 



Edna Dugan Wilson had been a fixture my whole life. She had been a close friend with my grandmother and her daughter Milly had been best friends with my mother since childhood.  Milly Wilson LaFreeda was the main-of-honor at my mothers wedding.


Edna was quite the sport. She would dress as Santa Claus
during the Christmas season and visit the young children. 





Aunt Edna was the widowed wife of my Great Uncle Evans Wilson, who had died with a hay wagon crusted his head beneath a wheel, so she had been a widow for a long time. She had a connection to the family even before that. She had been a pupil of my Great Aunt Helen in 1910. Edna is the girl with the X on her chest in Helen’s class.


Aunt Edna died in 1995 at the age of 92. My First Cousin, her
Daughter, Milldred Wilson LaFreeda died on November 12, 2017 in the Frederick Mennonite Community Home. She was 95.


 


Sad discovery family you knew well have passed. My cousin Everrett Wilson, son of my Grand Uncle Heber died at the Tel Hal Community Home in Honeybrook 0n June 8 2017. He was 93. I had been wondering about him because the last I had talked to him was at my father’s funeral and Everrett was 88 then Everrett with my dad at the Ridge Restaurant in 2011.  


I had been wondering about my First Cousin Alice Downing
Cantrell. She had been also a babysitter in my earliest years and was ten years older than I. We always exchanged Christmas Cards, but the one I sent her in December 2020 was returned as undeliverable and I feared she had died. She hadn’t but now lives in Anaheim Hills, Ca. and I didn’t have her new address. She may be living there with her daughter Lucinda Carol Cantrell Hughes, pictured in 1953. Lucinda was a recurring name with the Downings. Alice’s middle name was Lucinda.



Alice was be the only remaining one of “the Downing Girls” as they were called. My Great Aunt Clara Wilson Downing had seven children by Ellsworth Downing. There was one boy, William and six daughters.  Their brood is pictured on the right, with left to right being Alice, Mariam, Anna, Grand Aunt Clara, Grand Uncle Ellsworth, Dot, Ruth  and Jean.



In looking for Alice I discovered that Jean Clara Downing
Holston had died May` 12, 2020. She was 91. The other children had died earlier.



About halfway though 1996, My now boss Fil Sherry called me into his office. He was sitting with another man, who he introduced as Dave Ernst. Dave was the Vice President of Sales Support. Fil explained that Dave was having some problems. He needed to create an employee incentive plan on M?S Access and it had to interface with a dBase system being used in the branches by the sales personal. It was explained to me that after discussing the matter with Ted Cecala and Robert Harra, the co-presidents of the company, it was decided I was the best person for the job. Thus I found myself transferred from Deposit Services/Data Preparation to Sales Support. 



I left this meeting feeling they were greasing the skids to make me fail so they could get rid of me. After all, I had never even heard of M/S Access and knew nothing about bBase. For that matter, what dud I know of Sales Support. How then was I a perfect fit for this job?


No comments:

Post a Comment