Sunday, October 3, 2021

CHAPTER 200: IMPRESSIONS OF MY LIFE: AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A RECHERCHE POET SEARCH FOR THE ELUSIVE BED 2012

CHAPTER 200 SEARCH FOR THAT ELUSIVE BED  2012


 



Mom was very unhappy, and I didn’t blame her, but I was not sure what I could do.


We were able to bring her cat in for a visit, but it changed nothing.


“Larry, get me out of here.  Listen, I had a friend.”



“Yes?”


“She worked at Valley Maid. When I was there, but she retired. She went into Manatawny Manor. I hear it was nice.”




So Lois and I drove to Manatawany Manor just outside of Pottstown. We had difficulty finding it. The address was 30 Old Schuylkill Road, but I followed that road and it kind of disappeared on me. We drove up and  down Rt. 422. Several times, going from Phoenixville to Pottstown and back.  Then by luck we  found it, kind of up a hill our of the way. I drove up a twisting entreat and parked along one side of the building. The sign said it was associated with the Lutherans in some way, my wife’s old church. 


It entered into a large lobby with many chairs, behind which
was a glass included desk for inquiries. People wandering about seemed fairly independent. But upon questioning we found my mother not have the funds for

the first floor resident spaces. She would have to come in as a Medicaid patient, who would be assigned a small two person room on the second floor.  


We were given a tour and the second floor looks very little different than Golden Living, except people were warehoused in a two person unit rather than a three.  We were informed there was a waiting list and the lady  greeting us had no idea when a space would be available. On leaving Lois and I discussed the place, and we agreed our hostess had been very snorting once she learned my mom had no money. We saw nothing to make us think my mom would be any happier here than where she was.



There were 99 During Homes we checked out in Chester

and  Montgomery Counties.  We eventually narrowed this down to 44, which we visited.  All claimed they had waiting lists and no current rooms.  Some did not like my mother’s Aetna Insurance, an advantage plan. This seemed some form of insurance places rejected.  Some places were nice, but way too expensive for my mother to afford, such as  Bellingham.  


It was funny going to Bellingham for a visit. It was along
Boot Road outside of West Chester.  When we walked into the pace we were taken to a large central room. There were a number of residents sitting here talking, mostly women. As I entered these woman all looked me over and surrounded me, urging me to come to Bellingham. They completely ignored my wife. When we left in our car, Lois said, “My you were certainly a hit.”


“Yeah.”


“Fresh meat!”


They would drive me crazy if I did move it there.



We finally narrowed our 99 homes down to 6 possibilities, but even so, these did not seem to have vacancies either.  It was beginning to look  as if mom would be stuck where she  was.  That night I prayed, feeling my hopes were gone, and I left it to God.


A couple days later I received a phone call from a nursing


home along West Chester Pike just east of West Chester. The lady on the phone said they had space for my mom.


We drove to the place and it was descent inside and out and had a 5-Star Medicare Rating, which is the highest Medicare gave. Every one we met there as very friendly and we were told they  had room for my father as well. 



I had been trying to get my dad into the VA facility in Coatesville, but without success. I could never get ahold with anyone there. I would call a bane I was given and get a voicemail saying they were away and to. Call a different number for the person covering them, but all I ever got from the cover person was their voicemail with a message they were also away. All claimed they would get back to me, but none ever did. So to told this place could take me dad as well was very welcome news. 


The facility was called the Pembrooke Health and
Rehabilitation Center.  I signed up both monad dad, especially after they told me they could eventually get them both in the same room.

Pembrooke made all the arrangements with Golden Living and transered my mom by ambulance. My dad was simply able to be brought there by us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment