Monday, February 1, 2021

ME -- SWAMP RAT CHAPTER 18

 CHAPTER 18


I remember a time

when I was a lad

and all of my life

was wonderfully sad.


I had no friends,

all I knew were some ghosts

who would haunt my night.

I waited upon them

during the twilight.


I remember a time

when I was a lad

and all of my life

was excitingly sad.

 

Despite no friends

There were baseball cards

and motion picture shows,

while at home I had

records and radios.


I had some friends.


“At the Age of 8 or 9”

By Larry Eugene Meredith (1967)

“Personal Poetry”, 1970

Davis Ross, editor

Winchester, Va.

From my collection: Lost Laughs and Last Lovers






 
"N-A-B-I-S-C-O,
 Nabisco is the name to know.
 For a breakfast, you can't beat..
Eat Nabisco Shredded Wheat!"

"Keen eyes fixed on a flying target... a gleaming arrow set against a rawhide string... a strong bow bent almost to the breaking point... and then... "

"STRAIGHT ARROW!"

"Nabisco Shredded Wheat presents Straight Arrow, a thrilling new adventure story from the exciting days of the Old West!"

"To friends and neighbors alike, Steve Adams appeared to be nothing more than the young owner of the Broken Bow cattle spread, but when danger threatened innocent people, and when evildoers plotted against justice, then Steve Adams, rancher, disappeared. And in his place came a mysterious, stalwart Indian, wearing the dress and war paint of a Comanche, riding the great golden palomino Fury. Galloping out of the darkness to take up the cause of law and order throughout the West comes the legendary figure of..."

"STRAIGHT ARROW!"

  I hated Shredded Wheat. Shredded Carpet or Dried Straw was a


more appropriate moniker for that stuff in my boyish opinion. I certainly wasn’t going to eat that horse food, but I talked my mom into buying it to get the box top for the Straight Arrow Mystic Wrist Kit containing a Golden Arrowhead. Straight Arrow always left one of these arrowheads behind when he rescued someone, much like the Lone Ranger’s silver bullet. I prized my Golden Arrowhead. It glowed in the dark, had a secret compartment for messages and a whistle to blow in case of danger. We often listened to that show during dinner hour too.

I thought Straight Arrow was much cooler than Superman.


I played Straight Arrow over and over during my life at Glenloch. There was an indentation along the edge of the swamp I used for my secret cave. I would go to my secret cave and change from ranch hand Steve Adams to emerge upon my horse, Fury, as Straight Arrow, Of course my Golden Arrowhead was always with me to aid in getting the bad guys.


Moving from town to the desolation of Glenloch might have been daunting to some. I found it a magical wonderland. When I explored the house after we moved in I discovered the storeroom, the extra bedroom across from my playroom. There wasn’t a lot stored there because my parents didn’t own much. Yet in the middle of this room were stacks of comic books.

  There were a lot of comic books, two piles at least, and the one


pile was taller than me. I assumed these belonged to my dad, but I’ve begun to wonder about it. A dime isn’t a great amount of money, but it had a lot more purchasing power in the 1940s than it has today, about $1.85 in fact. My dad was only making $11.67 a week. Whatever money he had made before I came along couldn’t have been much. Where did he get so many dimes? I wondered if those comic books had been left behind by whomever once lived in that house, the same person who left it half stucco, half cinder block?



There were not only every superhero comic created up to the mid-1940s, as well as all the various Warner Brothers and Walt Disney characters, there were some really old comics, historic comics. There were “Famous Funnies”, the compilations of Sunday newspaper strips. There were comics all in black and white. There was even “The Funnies Weekly”, the first original Dell comic book. I wish I had kept them all.




There were other stacks in the room, but these I knew were mom’s. There were about two-dozen Big Little Books. I think I read them all over the next couple of years. There were books based on comic strip heroes such as Dick Tracy or popular detectives like Bulldog Drummond. There was The Adventures of Tom Mix and even some classics such as David Copperfield (the Dickens' novel, not the magician). 

Two attracted my attention more than the others. Both featured


Frank “Bring ‘em Back Alive” Buck. Oh, wow, I read them and knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. It wasn’t a cowboy; forgive me, Roy Rogers. I wanted to be an explorer, go into the darkest jungles of Africa, capture wild beasts, and discover new civilizations. I was going to be the first person to  capture the Yeti.



This was an interesting goal given my fear of heights and that the Abominable Snowman lived in the Himalayan Mountains, highest in the world.

Living in the swamp gave me a


perfect setting to pretend explorer and  practice for the future. Frank Buck, himself, did not die in some exotic misadventure, say eaten by a tiger. A age 56 in 1950 he died of lung cancer.


 Meanwhile, when indoors I had other diversions. I played a lot of board games alone. One of my favorites was a car racing game. The box said, “For 2 to 6 players”, but


it was perfect for one. It consisted of a large board that unfolded three times to form a racetrack. The track contained six lanes divided into blocks. There were six little metal cars of different colors. (The track design was similar to the board game pictured right.) I always used the green car. Green was my favorite color. I learned later that most race drivers avoided driving a green car; they considered the color bad luck just like the number 13. 


I didn’t care I liked green.

There was a plastic container shaped like a banjo, a large circle at the end of a long neck. Inside this odd tube were six colored balls, one for each race car. You shook the plastic with the balls in the round part and let them rolls down the neck. You placed  the cars at the starting line in the order the balls fell.


You repeated this procedure each turn. You then threw a die for each car in the order the balls dropped and moved it the number of blocks in its track. You could try to get to the inner lane, since it was the shortest, but you had to use one count to move sideways before moving forward again. 


I made up drivers for each car, not imaginary names, but kids I knew in Downingtown. I drove the green car, Billy Smith the red, Tim Mahan the Black and so forth. I did this with everything I played. It was only myself making every move or acting every part, but I always pretended my friends were involved. 


I became quite good at pretend. Living alone develops 

imagination. Everything I played had a plot. I never just played; it was always a story. The swamp wasn’t a marsh; it was a vast wasteland fraught with dangerous pools of quicksand and alligators. The distant cows in the pasture were prehistoric beasts or aliens from outer space. The hill behind the house was a mountain, the woods to the east of the cornfield an Amazon jungle. Sometimes the risks I took were not imaginary, but all too real. Like the Peanuts character I was always covered in dirt, but also with scratches, scrapes and bruises.


I was alone and isolated. I may even have felt lonely at times, but I don’t remember ever getting bored. I could imagine myself surrounded by friends, but what I couldn’t do was learn the skills of dealing with the real thing. That was to be a problem when I had to intermingle with my contemporaries, but that was two years away.

No comments:

Post a Comment